Holy Cross Cemetery
The Holy Cross Cemetery was established in 1902 by the Parishioners of St. Mary of the
Purification Church and is located at 9575 Lover’s Lane, Mount Forest.
Although Holy Cross Cemetery is operated by a Board of Directors appointed by the Parish
Priest of St. Mary of the Purification Church, the cemetery is owned by The Roman Catholic
Episcopal Corporation of the Diocese of Hamilton.
Development of the cemetery began in 1902 when three acres of land was purchased from
Michael Corrigan. In 1989 an additional one and a half acres of land adjacent to the south side of
the cemetery was purchased from Frank and Joanne Lucas ensuring that the needs of the parish
would be sustained.
The cemetery has been surveyed to include six sections – St. Mary, St. James, St. Thomas, St. John, St. Peter and St. Paul. Additionally, the cemetery has two columbarium’s containing 48 niches in each for the purpose of providing parishioners with the option of above ground placement of cremation remains.
On the cemetery grounds is a winter chapel used for the purpose of providing a temporary resting
place for deceased parishioners, if winter conditions prevent burial from taking place. Although,
the Holy Cross Cemetery permits burials during the winter, the winter chapel is also made
available to other parishes which do not allow for burials during the winter months.
A Cemetery Mass is held on the cemetery grounds annually and a Decoration Day service is
conducted by the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 134, Mount Forest every other year
recognizing veterans who are buried at Holy Cross Cemetery.
“It is the objective of the Board of Directors to perpetuate the dignity and history of the Holy
Cross Cemetery; and to protect and preserve these sacred grounds and those individuals interred
in eternal peace”.